[X4U] Directory Failure

silvo conticello silvoc at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 18 18:04:15 PDT 2005

On 19 Jul 2005, at 01:33, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I haven't had much time to do much checking, but when I boot from my
>> FireWire drive, the folders seem to be intact. But, again, I haven't
>> checked too carefully. Any advice on how I should proceed from here?
>>
> Based on a bad experience I had recently I'd recommend getting as much
> data
> as you can copied off of the HD before attempting any sort of repair.
> Then
> have a look around and see if you can find anything you've forgotten.
>
> I could have most likely recovered most, if not all of my data had I
> not
> tried to repair the disk prior to making sure *everything* had been
> saved.
> Of course part of my problem was that the disk was physically bad :^(

I completely agree: try to get your data out and only afterwards start
playing with the HD.

I had a bad crash in my previous TiBook and I had to recover 70Mb of
unbacked-up data.
I could connect to the TiBook in FW target mode, but I did not have
accees to the folders.
Probably the directory was damaged and the only way I found to rescue
them was DataRescueX:
It saved my 70Mb... though it did not work at recovering a 600Mb disk
image file

After recovering the files I just reformatted the HD and everything
went fine...

Silvo

Silvo Conticello
Albook 17" 1.5GHz/1.5Gb RAM/80Gb HD/OS10.3.9
iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.4.2/17" display
Cambridge UK