[X4U] Installing Tiger on an old iMac 233

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 10:58:42 PDT 2005

On 7/19/05 7:52 AM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:

> Hi I¹ve got a friend who¹s got one of the first generation iMacs a 233 with
> the CD drive that pops out. He¹s trying to install Tiger but gets an error
> that says it cannot be installed for whatever reason. It doesn¹t have Firewire
> on it and he¹s trying to install it through an external DVD via USB.

Built-in FireWire is one of the requirements for Tiger. This is listed on
the retail box and on Apple's web site:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

The HARMONi G3 may solve this problem but I would inquire with Sonnet
Technologies as to whether it is Tiger-compatible.
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html

Also, I don't think you can boot via USB.

Eddie Hargreaves