[X4U] Safari and Mail

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Wed Jul 20 02:36:32 PDT 2005

John T. Moran wrote:
 > Has anyone else noticed or had problems with these programs since
10.4.2?

 > With Safari, since installing the update, every so often I'll log in  to
 > my profile on os x and after opening Safari it will give me the  page
 > saying I am not connected try again. If I hit refresh, it will  work
 > fine from then on. It only seems to do this after using it right  after
 > initial login. Only started this after the 10.4.2 update.
 >
 > With Mail, it is having all kinds of troubles checking mail after I
 > initially open it again, after I first log-on in os x...often going
 > offline, only to return at the first scheduled mail check or if I hit
 > the check mail button. Again, only started this after 10.4.2.
 >
 > John

Hi John,

This has been tumbling around in my thoughts of some time now.
I have Safari 1.3 (v312), and on rare occasion use it.
It's a nice program, but...
My Netscape 7.2 and OS 10.3.9 work so much better for me.
It seems they can't get Safari to the same relatively trouble-free state
that the Netscape folks have done.

Yes, I'm aware, all I hear about are the folks who are having problems
of one kind or another, not all the successful installations.
However, it cannot be ignored ~ I don't hear much about Netscape 7.2!

Apple keeps changing operating systems so (comparatively) fast, and each
major change is significantly different and more complex. It seems the
other programs that are meant to work with the new OS releases, like
Safari, haven't caught up yet.

Last, if you use Safari, now you need a mail program, and Mail is not
without it's problems, from what I understand.
That's yet another discussion, but I won't get into that...

These are just some thoughts that have developed in the past 6 months or
so, and I'm not encouraged to act like a beta tester for OS 10.4X,
Safari and Mail, when I have a very good working relationship with the
latest Panther and Netscape!
I'd rather not have the aggravation.

Not complaints, just observations!

keith whaley