[X4U] installing Security Updates

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 22 08:08:42 PDT 2005

My mother asked me to investigate why her computer (blue&white G-3)
was refusing to retrieve mail--it kept rejecting her password, which
she was typing in correctly. Before doing anything else, I decided to
run Software Update, which showed a whole host of Security Updates
(10-27-2004, 2005-02,-04,-05,-06), plus the OS 10.3.9 combo (she was
at 10.3.7), so I repaired permissions, then installed only the 10.3.9
combo. When I ran Software Update again, the Security Updates were
still there along with the Java update and Quicktime. I installed the
Java and Quicktime.

I thought the Security Updates would be, for the most part at least,
included in the combo OS, but is that no longer the case?

Have I done all this backwards? Should I have done the Security
Updates first? Should I do them now, then do the combo again?

Mary