[X4U] Re: Refreshing the Network Choices

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Sat Jul 23 09:05:15 PDT 2005

On 7/22/05 3:53 PM, "Timothy Luoma" <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:

>> ...... DO you have any idea by the way ... why this happens with
>> different
>> people's replies?
>
> Well, in my case it probably has to do with the fact that my server
> strips out [X4U] (and all other bracketed Subject tags from mailing
> lists) because I find them useless and annoying (I read a lot of
> email on my cell phone, and 4 extra characters in the Subject line
> *does* make a big difference.
>
>> Is there any way to fix entourage at my end, so that all threads
>> will show consistently, despite slight subject line changes?
>
> No idea.  Some RFC states that Subject lines should not be used for
> sorting, only In-Reply-To headers, but of course that causes problems
> when people hit REPLY and just change the SUBJECT line

Interesting. So, I was curious ... Here is the In-Reply-To header for  this
e-mail...

Q: what does this part mean ... BF068EE6.2ECC% -  is this some kind of code
signifying the subject thread?

> Curious.
>
> I don't have any other servers on my network to test this with, but
> if this were my Powerbook, I would simply detach the Ethernet plug
> and then plug it back in.  If this is a desktop, that might not be
> convenient.
>
> Here's what I did (for a completely different reason):
>
> 1) Goto System Preferences > Network
>
> 2) Where it says "Location: [AUTOMATIC]" click and choose "New Location"
>
> 3) Name the new location "OFFLINE"
>
> 4) Where it says "Show:" (right under "Location: OFFLINE") choose
> "Network Port Configurations"
>
> 5) Uncheck all the boxes (on my Powerbook that means: Internal modem,
> Bluetooth, Built-In Ethernet, Built-In Firewire, Airport)
>
> Now when your network servers go offline, change your Network
> location to "OFFLINE" and then click APPLY and then switch back to
> AUTOMATIC (or whatever it was previously set at) and APPLY again.
>
> That should refresh your network connection.
>
> HINT: LaunchBar will search for network configurations.... I can
> press cmd+space and type "off [enter]" and switch to OFFLINE and then
> cmd+space + "auto [enter]" to go back.
>
> HINT2: "OFFLINE" is a good way to be productive when you don't want
> to be distracted by email, IM, web, etc!

Long story short - this is a perfect response to my question - and your
method described above works perfectly!!!!! Thank you very much for your
response -  this is a very smart solution!

BTW: LaunchBar - Is that a third party application?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com
[db-lists]