[X4U] Re: Refreshing the Network Choices

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Jul 23 09:18:11 PDT 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 12:05 PM, revDAVE wrote:

> On 7/22/05 3:53 PM, "Timothy Luoma" <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:
>
>> No idea.  Some RFC states that Subject lines should not be used for
>> sorting, only In-Reply-To headers, but of course that causes problems
>> when people hit REPLY and just change the SUBJECT line
>
> Interesting. So, I was curious ... Here is the In-Reply-To header
> for  this
> e-mail...

> Q: what does this part mean ... BF068EE6.2ECC% -  is this some kind
> of code
> signifying the subject thread?

Yup.  That "BF0..." was the "Message-ID" (another hidden header) of
the message that was being replied to.  Those Message-IDs are
supposed to be 100% unique (no two emails should ever have the same
Message-ID, unlike Subject: lines which can be easily duplicated,
especially the very popular "no subject" :-)

>> 1) Goto System Preferences > Network
>> 2) Where it says "Location: [AUTOMATIC]" click and choose "New
>> Location"
>> 3) Name the new location "OFFLINE"
>> 4) Where it says "Show:" (right under "Location: OFFLINE") choose
>> "Network Port Configurations"
>> 5) Uncheck all the boxes (on my Powerbook that means: Internal
>> modem, Bluetooth, Built-In Ethernet, Built-In Firewire, Airport)
>> Now when your network servers go offline, change your Network
>> location to "OFFLINE" and then click APPLY and then switch back to
>> AUTOMATIC (or whatever it was previously set at) and APPLY again.
>
> Long story short - this is a perfect response to my question - and
> your method described above works perfectly!!!!! Thank you very
> much for your response -  this is a very smart solution!

Cool!  Glad to hear it!

I actually deleted my "OFFLINE" location and re-created it to make
sure I had the steps right :-)

> BTW: LaunchBar - Is that a third party application?

Indeed.  It's the 1st app that I load onto a new system and one of
the top (of thousands) things I miss when reduced to using a
MSWindows box

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/

Some people like QuickSilver http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ which
is free but I prefer LaunchBar.  It makes opening up specific
preference panels, Network Locations, Documents, etc a simple matter
(it's like Spotlight except that it just looks at file NAMES but it
also learns as you use it, so right now when I type 'cmd+space+T' it
knows that I probably mean "Toast" rather than "Terminal" but if I
type "Te" rather than "T" it knows I mean Terminal and not TextEdit.

With LaunchBar, I have removed all the apps from my Dock except
Launchbar and Activity Monitor (which launch at startup) and only
have running apps in the Dock otherwise.

YMMV but it has been well worth the $$ for me

TjL