[X4U] Video (MPEG2) Help, PLEASE -

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Fri Jun 3 16:38:21 PDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Jeffrey Stormshak wrote:

> Greetings -
> I was wondering if anyone has a great source, link, book
> recommendation for manipulating MPEG2 video on a G5 specifically
> NTSC Digital Cable recorded files.  I looking for Compression tips
> and tricks to get these file onto a DVD (Single layer) DVD-R.
> I've sent this email here for a starting place and sorry if some
> feel this is off topic.  It's not my intent.

     I have a Miglia TV card that I use to record shows from
Satellite.  The shows are recorded as a Quicktime movie in DV
format.  Other compression options are available, but I was told DV
was the best one to use for making DVD's.
     After recording, I launch iMovie HD and then drag the QT movie
to the clips pane to import it.  After importing, I click on the iDVD
button and add my chapter markers.  Then, I click on the "Create DVD
Project" which launches iDVD.  Once iDVD launches, I can close and
quit iMovie and work on the project in iDVD.  From there, it is just
a matter of selecting your menu themes and burning.  Of course before
it burns it is encoded in to DVD format.  That process takes about 5
hours on my 1Ghz G4.
     I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Kevin