[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

Neil Lists at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 10:18:56 PDT 2005

on 6/4/05 12:47 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> The PowerPC had an emulator so that all 68k apps worked reasonably
> well without any re-compiling.
>
> However, apps that were eventually re-compiled did run faster. So, if
> Apple did switch CPU's I'm betting that this would be the same path.
> All existing software would run fine on the new CPU, but newer re-
> compiled software would run faster

Well, did you see the following from Mac Rumors?
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/02/20050225022048.shtml

In 2001, Transitive Technologies demonstrated a technology called "Dynamite"
which allowed code written for one CPU to be run efficiently on another CPU.
This "translator" was said to dynamically translate and accelerate binaries
-- claiming to provide substantial performance over traditional "emulators".
Recent numbers claim 80% performance matching.

Some more details came in 2003 at which time a "major" customer was
reported. While speculation pointed towards Apple, no reliable reports
emerged.

Transitive once again made headlines in September 2004 when they announced a
derivative product called QuickTransit. They have since announced having a
number of customers including Silicon Graphics Incorporated.

QuickTransit allows software compiled for one processor/operating system to
be run on another processor/operating system.

According to an unconfirmed report, there is evidence that Apple has had
special internal seeds of Tiger which support this technology for the x86
platform. Beyond allowing Tiger to run on x86, perhaps more significantly is
the potential to also allow existing Mac OS X applications to be run on the
x86 (PC) platform without recompilation. Otherwise, requiring developers to
recompile all current Mac OS X applications has been seen as a major hurdle
in providing Mac OS X on the PC.

Other arguments against such a transition would, of course, still hold.
Apple has traditionally been a hardware company, with the bulk of revenue
coming from Mac hardware. The past few years, however, has seen software
become a larger portion of their revenue.