[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 13:02:31 PDT 2005

I read an article by NetCurmudgeon John Dvorak several years ago, and, IIRC,
he thought it would be a win/win for Apple to move to the Intel platform.
Primarily because they could ship with two Oss - Windoze and OS X. The user
could boot into either one, or ditch one altogether and use the other.

Keep in mind Apple has gotten big points over the last several years for
style - a major differentiation for them in the marketplace.

Of course, that article was *before* the current glut of spyware, adware,
viruses, worms and trojans (oh my!). Keep in mind the rumors that Linus
Torvalds (sp?) runs Linux on a PBG4 due to security concerns.

I remember an article recently that indicated MS was putting PowerPC chips
in its new gaming consoles. Wouldn't that tighten an already tight supply?
And I understood that there's not necessarily any love lost between Apple
and IBM, and if IBM could screw Apple over, it would.

There's lots of pros and cons - I guess we'll see Monday.

On 6/4/05 12:18 PM, "Neil" <lists at mac.com> either wrote, forwarded or
quoted:

--
John Lyon

Yes, as through this world I've wandered / I've seen lots of funny men;
Some will rob you with a six-gun / And some with a fountain pen.
  -- Woody Guthrie