[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 4 16:39:30 PDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 9:02 pm, John Lyon wrote:

> ... Keep in mind the rumors that Linus
> Torvalds (sp?) runs Linux on a PBG4 due to security concerns.

    Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly. "My main machine
    these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970)--it's physically a
    regular Apple Mac, although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't
    think you can call it a Mac any more ;)" he wrote.

    "As to the why...Part of it is simply that I wanted to try something
    else, and I felt like there were enough people testing the x86 side
    that it certainly didn't need me. Part of it is that I personally
    believe there are two main architectures out there: Power and x86-64
    are what _I_ think are the two most relevant ones, and I decided
    that I had to at least check the other side of it out seriously if
    I really believed that," he wrote.

    But the kernel guru sought to stop any potential accusations of
    favoritism in their tracks: "And don't read anything really deep
    into that--Linux supports 20+ architectures, and the fact that I
    personally think that two of them are more likely to be the most
    relevant really doesn't mean all that much. It's just a personal
    quirk of mine."

    As it turns out, this key figure behind the Linux insurgency is
    probably not all that different from any other technology enthusiast.

    "Oh, and part of it is that I got the machine for free," said
    Torvalds. "I'm really a technology whore."

Can we quit the ill-informed speculation now please and JUST WAIT UNTIL
MONDAY????   ;D

Stroller.