[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jun 5 08:04:46 PDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 6:50 am, Randy B.Singer wrote:

>> Maybe IBM can't guarantee
>> the quantity Apple is expecting?
>
> That has never been mentioned by any of the parties involved.  I
> suspect
> that IBM can produce any quantity that there is a demand for by
> expanding
> its production facilities.

    One of the problems is ongoing yield issues within the company's
    300-mm fab in East Fishkill, N.Y. For months, IBM has been struggling
    with yields in the fab, a 130- and 90-nm plant.

    "We do see demand, but we need to make the products," [John] Joyce
    (senior vice president and chief financial officer for IBM) said.
    "We need to improve our yields in our 300-mm plant. Our yields did
    see some improvement, but not as fast (as the company had hoped)."

<http://www.siliconstrategies.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?
articleId=18901714>

See also:
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/08/17.4.shtml>