[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Jun 4 22:50:37 PDT 2005

John McG said:

>One thing nobody seems to have considered is that maybe Intel has
>been licensed to produce the IBM G5 chips

That would be a shocking development.  I doubt that IBM would ever allow
it.

>since IBM is going to
>produce G5 chips for the X-Box and Apple.

IBM is not going to be producing G5 or PowerPC chips for either Microsoft
or Sony for their game platorms.

The X-Box is migrating to a custom processor with three cores made by
IBM.  Microsoft is using G5's for beta testing bacause there is quite a
bit of
similarity, but the X-Box processor is a custom game platform processor,
not a PowerPC.

Sony is migrating to the Cell processor, which once again has some
similarities to the PowerPC processor, but the Cell processor as it is is
not an appropriate processor for a personal computer.  If it was
appropriate for use in a personal computer, Apple would probably be
on-board to use it.

>Maybe IBM can't guarantee
>the quantity Apple is expecting?

That has never been mentioned by any of the parties involved.  I suspect
that IBM can produce any quantity that there is a demand for by expanding
its production facilities.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html