[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Lars Bertelsen lbe at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 15:01:41 PDT 2005

>Apple will always have proprietary chips.  It's
>just an Intel chip working with specific Apple
>chips.  You can't run X on PC.
>
>Paul Moortgat

Hm... I think you are trying to predict what
Steve Jobs will do in the future...
You're a braver man than I! ;-)

I'd say that this depends on:
a) wheter Steve Jobs sees Apple as a hardware company or a software company
and
b) If he does see Apple as a hardware company,
wheter he feels threatened by the cheaper PC
hardware...
Consider the iMac G5. This is such a different
design that it might easily have done well in the
market, even if it were a PC running Windows.

One might argue that there will always be a small
hardcore group of people willing to pay a premium
price for a piece of hardware as long as  it is
labeled "Apple" and is really cool in it's own
right, simply because it is better designed than
anything else out there.

Probably not a _large_ group of people, but then
Apple's marketshare today isn't that big anyway...

I think the real show stopper may be wheter the
Apple engineers are able to come up with a way to
ensure that OS X on non-Apple hardware will run
as (more or less) predictably and reliably as we
have come to expect Mac OS to run.

As long as there is any chance of people
installing Mac OS on a run-of-the-mill PC and
getting the same kind of user experience you get
from running Windows on the same machine (you
know, the "NOW what is it doing?!?!?" kind that
we'we all come to know and love;-) ), Apple are
probably _not_ going to risk their brand by
allowing it.

If they can overcome this problem, then I
wouldn't be comfortable at all trying to guess
what they'll do...

Lars Bertelsen

--
Trigono ApS