[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Lars Bertelsen lbe at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 16:24:48 PDT 2005

>On 6/7/05, at 12:01 AM, Lars Bertelsen, <lbe at mac.com> said:
>
>>b) If he does see Apple as a hardware company,
>>wheter he feels threatened by the cheaper PC
>>hardware...
>>Consider the iMac G5. This is such a different
>>design that it might easily have done well in the
>>market, even if it were a PC running Windows.
>>
>>One might argue that there will always be a small
>>hardcore group of people willing to pay a premium
>>price for a piece of hardware as long as  it is
>>labeled "Apple" and is really cool in it's own
>>right, simply because it is better designed than
>>anything else out there.
>
>This is a no-brainer. Rest assured that Apple is not willing to shrink
>to a little company making software that they hope will run reliably on
>assorted Dells, Sonys and HPs.
Well, you may be right. But then again, 12 months
before th iPod, nobody would have believed that
Apple woukd ever venture into anything hand-held
again either...
My point is,that I thin it is very hard to guess
what these people will be doing  a year from now,
and also that they may have a strong enough brand
that even if they do allow OS X to run on
non-APple PC's, they may still be able to sell as
many Apple branded machines as they do now. I'm
not saying they _can_ do this or that they _want_
to do this, but I'm saying I wouldn't want to bet
my pension on them _not_ doing it.
And yes, they have stated that they won't let OS
X run on non Mac hardware. I'm sure that's true
now. I'm just not sure whether iut will remain
true!

lars bertelsen

--
Trigono ApS