[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Tue Jun 7 06:12:48 PDT 2005

Michael Elliott wrote:
> Yes, but isn't the speed hit with Virtual PC associated with  emulating
> one CPU on another?  I would suspect that when Macs go  Intel, that the
> emulation hit would be nil because there would be no  Intel--> PPC
> translation occurring.  Of course, let's also remember  that VPC is now
> a Microsoft product, too :-)

The performance hit with Virtual PC is not only because it is emulating
a CPU, but because it is emulating an operating system API, i.e. the
computing environment.  Using WINE on OSX to run Win32 apps will
probably be the same, regardless of CPU, just as using WINE on Linux has
a performance degradation running Win32 apps on a "native" x86 processor.

	dZ.