[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 7 06:52:08 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 1:50 pm, Michael Elliott wrote:

>> WINE <http://www.winehq.com/> is a similar technology. But I suspect
>> that in reality it wouldn't work much better than virtual PC.
>
> Yes, but isn't the speed hit with Virtual PC associated with emulating
> one CPU on another?

True, a lot of it is.

> I would suspect that when Macs go Intel, that the emulation hit would
> be nil because there would be no Intel--> PPC translation occurring.

dZ indicates why some emulation overhead would still be incurred, but
my reasoning was mostly that Windows on Mac would likely still be
clumsy & unreliable. I don't use VPC myself, but I've seen postings
here about it crashing, or its disk image becoming corrupted (losing
all the data stored in it, IIRC).

Perhaps VPC on Apptel will work better than currently, and those that
need to run the occasional Windows app on their Powerbook will benefit,
but I'd expect to find plenty of apps having problems. It is a shame -
I'd love to be able to play Windows games on my Mac.

For the majority of Windows applications there is a Mac-native
equivalent, but for those users for whom a Windows-only app is
absolutely irreplaceable, I'll bet the best bet will still be a £200 or
£300 PC & VNC.

Stroller.