[X4U] Re: Apple's move to Intel chips

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Jun 9 00:14:16 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Stroller wrote:

>> I would suspect that when Macs go Intel, that the emulation hit
>> would be nil because there would be no Intel--> PPC translation
>> occurring.
>>

> dZ indicates why some emulation overhead would still be incurred,
> but my reasoning was mostly that Windows on Mac would likely still
> be clumsy & unreliable. I don't use VPC myself, but I've seen
> postings here about it crashing, or its disk image becoming
> corrupted (losing all the data stored in it, IIRC).

I do use it myself and haven't had any problems with it... then again
I don't use it often and mostly just to use IE to check webpages.

> Perhaps VPC on Apptel will work better than currently, and those
> that need to run the occasional Windows app on their Powerbook will
> benefit, but I'd expect to find plenty of apps having problems. It
> is a shame - I'd love to be able to play Windows games on my Mac.
>
> For the majority of Windows applications there is a Mac-native
> equivalent, but for those users for whom a Windows-only app is
> absolutely irreplaceable, I'll bet the best bet will still be a
> £200 or £300 PC & VNC.

Indeed.... as long as they are on a network... and a fast one.

I use VNC at the office to connect to my WIntel machine running XP so
I can use my calendar app.. but when I'm at home (dialup) or...
(shock!) offline, say, on an  airplane, it's less useful.

TjL