[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 17:09:58 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Ted Burton wrote:

> At 1:24 AM +0200 on 6/7/05, Lars Bertelsen spoke about Re: [X4U]
> Apple's move to Intel chips thusly:
>

>> My point is,that I thin it is very hard to guess what these people
>> will be doing  a year from now, and also that they may have a
>> strong enough brand that even if they do allow OS X to run on non-
>> APple PC's, they may still be able to sell as many Apple branded
>> machines as they do now. I'm not saying they _can_ do this or that
>> they _want_ to do this, but I'm saying I wouldn't want to bet my
>> pension on them _not_ doing it.
>>

> Consider: these Macs will run Windows directly, not in emulation.
> Hence a Wintel dependent shop that appreciates industrial design
> will have the chance to buy Apple and change nothing else. The
> highest quality Windows box you can buy. Wintel folks can buy Apple.
>
> Mac-centric folks can still buy Apple. And an Appletel  box  can
> run Windows software in an Mac-centric shop. No one needs Virtual PC.
>
> Hmmmm.
> --

Ever hear of the OS/2 effect?
If _Developers_ know they can write code for one platform and have it
run on other boxes, what's their motivation to write code for the
other platforms. Soon there are only Windows apps running on
Macintel. Then OS X becomes an optional shell for Longhorn. Not a
scenario any of us want to see played out.
ciao,
Vince

p.s.. Steve refers to it as Macintel