[X4U] Re: Apple's move to Intel chips

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 06:42:30 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 2:14 AM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> There was something on NeXTSTEP called SoftPC that ran Windows 3.1
> or some atrocity like that.

It was also on the Mac, as well as SoftWindows. IIRC, SoftPC emulated
a version of DOS, and SoftWindows emulated Windows 3.x. Note that
they emulated the OS, as opposed to VPC which emulated the hardware.
Compatibility with the SoftPC/Win was fairly spotty, but it did seem
faster than VPC, at least for the first couple versions.

Then VPC solved some speed issues, and since it was already more
"compatible" and could be used for any PC OS (theoretically), SoftPC/
Win died off. I have to give them some credit though. I'd think
emulating Windows would be a whole lot harder than emulating an open
PC architecture.

-Mike