[X4U] Re: Apple's move to Intel chips

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Jun 9 00:14:24 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Ted Burton wrote:
>

>> Mac-centric folks can still buy Apple. And an Appletel  box  can
>> run Windows software in an Mac-centric shop. No one needs Virtual PC.

Of course some will need VirtualPC for those times when carrying two
computers isn't desirable.

> I'm trying to dust the cobwebs out of he appropriate areas of my
> brain, but I seem to remember Apple having Windows apps running
> under OS X (or NeXT when it was on Intel hardware). It was
> essentially the equivalent of Blue box running Classic software.
>
> Anybody else remember more about that?

There was something on NeXTSTEP called SoftPC that ran Windows 3.1 or
some atrocity like that.  It was really bad and I had completely
forgotten about it until you brought it back, not unlike the time my
sister reminded me of when I jumped into the sea without looking and
landed on the rocks (i.e. I prefer to have forgotten it!)

TjL