[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 9 06:42:38 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 3:17 pm, T.L. Miller wrote:
> On 6/8/05, at 3:57 PM, Oskar Lissheim-Boethius, <avocade at gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> Yes, but notice the word _allow_. Does this mean that there are no
>> special, secret components that will _prohibit_ you to run OS X on
>> your
>> beige-box, and that Apple simply won't _license_ OS X to PC-
>> manufacturers? Crackers rejoice... :(
>
> A primary reason Apple's OSes have been so stable is that they only run
> on their hardware. Install on various and sundry Dells, eMachines, HPs,
> etc. and that stability would be history.

Yes, but I don't think this will actually prohibit the use of OS X on
Dells & eMachines. I don't expect Apple's installer to work, or for OS
X to be licensed for them, so running OS X on Dells & eMachines won't
appeal to the majority of consumers.

My theory is that some determined hacking will allow OS X to run on
these systems - I don't see how Apple could stop it - and that the
first person to manage it will document the process and gain kudos on
Slashdot.

Loads of kiddies will download a pirate version of OS X, follow the
instructions and install it on their old PC, with the result that:
- they consider OS X to be loads less stable than everyone's been
claiming for years
&/or
- they like OS X but get pissed off enough with the hardware
compatibility issues to actually go out & buy a Mac.

This will only have the barest of trickle-down effects to the majority
of the computer-using population:
- "I hear those Macintels aren't so stable"
&/or
- "I hear lots of people are switching to Macs these days"

Stroller.