[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Thu Jun 9 07:39:25 PDT 2005

Perhaps this is secretly Apple's desire? By "letting" OSX out through the
cracks and hacks they are giving an influential segment of underground users
a chance to test drive the system for basically free. And if they like it,
it could lead to greater market penetration of the OS. I figure it's in the
interest of Apple long term to have as many people as possible exposed to
OSX and familiar with it. I believe OSX is a superior product and can stand
up to competition with XP, KDE or whatever and win. My experience with Linux
on very crappy P2 is that it's surprisingly stable. My guess is OSX on some
similar setup will be too. Good enough to impress some people and make a few
converts. OSX anywhere on anything is not Windows everywhere on everything.

Also I think if you're Steve Jobs there has to come a time when you put your
chips (no pun intended) on the table and squarely duke it out on a level
playing field. He feels the OS is mature enough and good enough to withstand
the rabid scrutiny and open competition of the marketplace. He's 50
something, just survived cancer, he knows nothing is eternal and you have to
take your shot. The move to Intel will silence all the critics who say Macs
are second rate computers and we can't compare them with Windows, Linux
etc...It's Apples vs Apples now so to speak. If you have a dual booting
Mac/(XP) and you get to drive both at your leisure which one will you
choose? Jobs thinks in the end you'll choose OSX and Apple. You have to
believe in your product. Not everyone will choose Mac, of course, but there
are those who will, enough that it could tip market share Apple's way.

May the force be with you

Richard