[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Steve Self steveself at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 14:57:39 PDT 2005

>> That's why I cringe everytime someone compares the OS X timeline to
>> XP/Longhorn. Not nearly fair.

I have contended for a few years now that MS needs to draw the line
from all that old MSDOS and Win95 software and simply not support it
any more... After all, there are win95 machines out there for $50 and
they will run all that arcane and passe software.

Another slant... It is a fair comparison, they are both OS's and what
the people in charge choose is part of the comparison. Gates and Co.
choose to swell Longhorn to the most extreme of bloatware and choose
to support all the ill-advised choices made by the 3rd party people
to keep maximum compatibility... Then they end up with a swollen cow
OS that is too late to the market. It tries to do everything at a
moderate level of satisfaction.

Compare this to OSX which is not compatible with EVERYTHING and does
not claim to be... And does a lot with grace, elan and good design. I
still cringe every time I have to use a Windoze mouse pointer and how
robotic it feels as compared to the OSX mouse pointer. I suppose
there are a lot of people who care less for aesthetics and just want
Walmart prices and mediocre performance with infinite compatibility
and can suffer daily crashes without tossing the box out the (real)
window.

Anyway - The move to Intel will be TOTALLY transparent to 97% of
users...

Andy Ihnatko:  http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-
andy09.html

Walt Mossberg:  http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050609.html