[X4U] Re: Apple's move to Intel chips

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 07:12:26 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> Now that's the choice they've made  ut anytime you hear them try to
> leave
> behind old unsupported hardware you'll hear the masses howl.

Well, if you've got a great product, and you continue support for the
old for a reasonable time, let  them howl. Otherwise you get left
behind by the competition. That's what's happening to MS now. Apple
dropped 68k, users howled, Apple dropped the floppy, users howled,
Apple dropped OS 9, users howled...

Sooner or later you have to cut the dead weight, or its going to drag
you down. The way I look at it, MS's users with modern hardware
should be howling about how MS supporting legacy hardware is costing
them time and money in extra support for a bloated, hard to manage OS.

-Mike