[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 9 15:44:30 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:20 pm, Judi Sohn wrote:

> On 6/7/05, Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>> For the majority of Windows applications there is a Mac-native
>> equivalent,
>
> If you use VersionTracker as your measure, maybe.But the number of
> applications, particularly in business environments, that do not have
> Mac equivalents (or if they do they're 3 steps behind) is staggering.
> And that doesn't even count all the stuff that runs off of web
> browsers that require Windows with no way to run in a Mac browser.

I use http://guide.apple.com/ as my measure in this - there are
browsers, email- and news-clients, development tools, mp3 players, p2p
applications, music & video recording & editing tools, CD & DVD burning
software IRC-clients, terminal-emulators and RSS readers for the Mac. I
personally regard that as the majority of applications, if by number of
users or by frequency of use.

However we were discussing the viability of VPC or other Windows
emulations on forthcoming Macintels:

>> I would suspect that when Macs go Intel, that the emulation hit would
>> be nil because there would be no Intel--> PPC translation occurring.
> my reasoning was mostly that Windows on Mac would likely still be
> clumsy & unreliable.

In that context I think you've quoted me somewhat selectively, Ms Sohn.
I know that there are a great deal of users who are offered nothing but

and today I have also said:

> There are estate agents & financial consultants I would LOVE to switch
> off Windows, but who rely on a single proprietary app for managing
> their properties or calculating mortgages - I cannot recommend
> Macintosh & VPC to them.

Stroller.