[X4U] Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Re: Apple's move to Intel chips)

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Jun 9 23:43:28 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 7:20 AM, Judi Sohn wrote:

> On 6/7/05, Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>> For the majority of Windows applications there is a Mac-native
>> equivalent,
>
> If you use VersionTracker as your measure, maybe. But the number of
> applications, particularly in business environments, that do not
> have Mac equivalents (or if they do they're 3 steps behind) is
> staggering.

At the risk of derailing any of the myriad of threads about Intel vs
PPC....

What apps / types of apps are you thinking about?

The only thing I haven't found a replacement for is ACT (calendar +
contact management).  Mac has them, but nothing as good.

> And that doesn't even count all the stuff that runs off of web
> browsers that require Windows with no way to run in a Mac browser.

I must be strange, because I don't run into many sites at all that
require IE.  In fact, in a year with Mac I can think of less than a
handful of times that's come up.

But again, my browsing habits may not be the norm.

TjL