[X4U] Re: Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Apple's move to Intel chips)

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jun 10 23:11:29 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:45 AM, Judi Sohn wrote:

> I used to think the exact same thing. I lived solely in the Mac
> world for a really long time, thinking that I had everything I
> needed and could ever want. But I feel like the country mouse who
> moved in to the city and now could never look back. There's a
> *very* big world outside the fence, believe me.

Yeah, um, as I said I lived on the Windows side of things for several
years now and only recently came to the Mac, and haven't missed
anything.

But that mouse illustration was good, I may use it sometime ;-)

At least Judi made an effort to answer the question as to WHAT APPS
they are talking about, rather than devolving into a "Mac stuff is
better" vs "Windows has more stuff"

On Jun 10, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Alex wrote:
> How about this:
>
> "[...] the author wrote this book by voice, using Dragon Naturally
> Speaking on a Windows PC. [...]"
>
> Care to guess which book?... Let me cut the suspense: "Mac OS X:
> The Missing Manual" by David Pogue.
>
> Left-handed wrench? IMHO, Judi and Robert are right. Software
> choice on the Mac is much more limited than on Win. No use trying
> to pretend otherwise or to explain it away.

Ah yes... now voice recognition I will definitely grant you.

The stuff that Judi mentioned I don't even have on my PC.  I've used
Trillian before but I never got into "I have to be in 7 different
chat forums"

Anyway, if anyone has *SPECIFIC* apps that they miss on Windows
(there were a few), I'd love to see that.

TjL