[X4U] Safari - not remembering visited links

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 01:24:57 PDT 2005

On 06/10/05, "coolcat at hostalive.com" <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/05 12:16 PM, "John Baltutis" <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>> If you're not adverse to using the Terminal.app, type this into it and hit
>> the return key:
>> defaults read com.apple.safari WebKitHistoryItemLimit
>> AFAIK, the number returned is the number of history items that Safari
>> retains. To change it to a larger number of items, such as XXX (something
>> 15 times larger than the returned number), type in this:
>> defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitHistoryItemLimit XXX
>> That should do it for you. BTW, permissions don't have anything to do with
>> the setting.
>
> thanks - your e-mails helped a lot!
-  actually - I think they might because once when I looked at my
> permissions for this - they were read only before a changed them - and I
> believe that affected me adversely... No?

Only if the permissions on the com.apple.safari.plist files in
~/Library/Preferences/ were read only. If that was the case and other
preferences files are read only, you have severe permissions problems with
your setup. AFAIK, they should all be read & write for you (the admin user
and your username group)-at least that's what mine show.

You might want to review the terminal chmod command. In your particular
case, you'd cd ~/Library/Preferences/, check which .plist files don't show
-rw at the beginning when you do a ls -l command, and then enter chmod 600
(followed by the name of a file which doesn't have read & write privileges
for the user).

E.g., if the Safari.plist file was read only, then you'd do this, after
moving to the ~/Library/Preferences/ directory:

chmod 600 com.apple.safari.plist

or if all of the com.apple ones are read only:

chmod 600 com.apple.*.plist

or if all of them are read only:

chmod 600 *.plist