[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Jun 15 19:07:14 PDT 2005

At 6:26 PM -0700, 6/15/05, Gene Wieber wrote:

>Thanks to all on the list who responded in various ways to all my
>queries. I hope the smarta_ _ neighbor is blocked and is wishing he
>kept his mouth shut. Gene

I would bet that he got just what he thought was best.

2 thoughts on this thread. One is that the people who respond to a
thread like this will most always feel that security is a necessity.
Those that believe is mesh networks don't bother to speak up against
the foil hat types.

What I am getting at is that I've set up over a hundred wireless
networks for my business clients. On every one of them, I've set them
up as open networks. Not a single client has ever had a problem with
this type of setup. They locked down their servers and computers and
knowingly have their internet connections open. My philosophy is akin
to the fact that we don't lock up our water hoses in front of our
homes, so why do we lock up our wireless internet access? The
borrowing of our internet access costs us no more than when someone
borrows a drink from our water hose. My business clients enjoy the
ease of access for new equipment and also for guests when they visit
the business.

I set the SSID of my clients networks to a code that tells me which
network it is (usually a location code) and then I append my phone
number with area code (since there are lots of area codes in my
client region). This enables anyone with a question or problem of
administration to contact me. The only contacts I've ever had were
from some wanting to be helpful geek to might call me and ask me if I
know that my phone number is being broadcast on my insecure network.
I laugh and say yes it took a moment of my time to make it happen and
how might I help them. They never have any real reason to call other
than to advise me that I am running an insecure network (hence the
comment about who usually replies to these threads). Again, my
clients have never had a problem (admittedly that they know of) but I
like to think I'd know about it since I am their network admin.

My point is, open your network and share. The world is a better place
when people share what they have extra of and won't cost them
anything to offer to others in need. It may also help you someday as
you roam around with a Powerbook and need a signal. Thankfully the
paranoia of insecure networks escapes most people's attention and the
default settings from the manufacturers allows me and others like me
to catch a signal without too much trouble. But why are people so
interested in making sure that no one benefits from their surplus?
You do understand that the 'thief' must be within a hundred feet of
your exterior walls right? Are you really thinking that there are
that many thiefs who want to harm you that are that close to you? If
so, I'd move to a different home.
--

Robert Ameeti

Don't worry. I forgot your name too!