[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 15 19:28:00 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 3:07 am, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> What I am getting at is that I've set up over a hundred wireless
> networks for my business clients. On every one of them, I've set them
> up as open networks. Not a single client has ever had a problem with
> this type of setup. They locked down their servers and computers and
> knowingly have their internet connections open...

Whilst I admire your philosophy, the problem is that you clients'
competitors could be reading every email they send, perusing any
documents your clients access over their wireless networks. Although
WEP isn't enough to deter a really determined attacker, WPA might be,
and either is an order of magnitude more of a deterrent than saying
"here's all my confidential data, come and read it".

Whilst the risk of one of _your_ customers being targeted for
privileged information by passive packet-sniffing is very low, do you
really want to risk being asked the question: "what you mean, you
didn't bother to encrypt our network?"

Stroller.