[X4U] Why wireless, anyway?

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu Jun 16 15:43:01 PDT 2005

Brian L. Matthews wrote:

>> But *why* wireless, especially where security is a concern.
>> Cabling a hardwired network is not really that big a deal, is it?
>> My last house had ethernet jacks in all the living spaces.......

> That's a rare house, most people aren't so lucky. And what about out in
> the back yard? And do you never have friends over who want to use their
> laptops?

No, we don't. We have friends over to share drinks, chatter, gossip, and
sample all the good food. If we'd have missed our computers THAT much,
we'd have stayed home!

If a "friend of mine" hauled out his laptop and started in on it, he
probably wouldn't get a re-invitation to the next shindig...
That's RUDE!

> Or want to use more than one device per "living space"?

Uhhh, no... Not that needs to network, using the printer, the modem, the
whatever.
My wife uses her work laptop on the dining room table; what printing she
wants to do she can put on a JumpStick, and plug it directly into my
printer. No need for wireless.

> Or want
> to carry a laptop to another room without disconnecting?

See above.
When she wants to do rudimentary communication with the office, she uses
her Blackberry.

>> I must be missing something really basic here.

> Yes, you're assuming everyone else's situation and usage patterns are
> exactly like yours.
>
> Brian

No doubt. There are a hundred permutations on the above.

One immutable at our house is...if you want to play with your computer
in front of every one else, better you should stay home.

keith whaley