[X4U] Why wireless, anyway?

jeff 3redcars at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 16:25:17 PDT 2005

On 6/16/05, Brian L. Matthews is rumored to have said:
>>But *why* wireless, especially where security is a concern.
>>Cabling a hardwired network is not really that big a deal, is it?
>>My last house had ethernet jacks in all the living spaces.......
>
>That's a rare house, most people aren't so lucky.

No luck involved - wire it yourself or have it done. Cat-5 is quick,
easy and cheap. Not rare - last two houses were well wired, and my
new place is headed that way.

>  And what about out in the back yard?

Long cable? Or do you mean the neighbor's back yard? Or maybe the
neighbor in their back yard. I think you're making my point on this
one, perhaps.

>  And do you never have friends over who want to use their laptops?

Sure - plug right in and DHCP works. Done this many times.

>Or want to use more than one device per "living space"?

That requires a really high tech device called a hub. Some spaces I
cable actually have more than 1 port anyway.

>Or want to carry a laptop to another room without disconnecting?

Are you referring to the agony of plugging and unplugging or the non
issue of talking to the network?

>>I must be missing something really basic here.
>
>Yes, you're assuming everyone else's situation and usage patterns
>are exactly like yours.

Sheesh - no assumptions, that's why I posted. My post spoke to
convenience vs. security.

hardwired and happy

jeff