[X4U] Re: Why wireless, anyway?

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Jun 16 17:22:47 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 5:41 PM, jeff wrote:

> Very interesting discussion, thank you all.
>
> But *why* wireless, especially where security is a concern.
> Cabling a hardwired network is not really that big a deal, is it?
> My last house had ethernet jacks in all the living spaces.......
>
> Never worried about the neighbors.
>
> I must be missing something really basic here.

Most houses don't, and people either can't or don't want to bother
laying wire.

One wifi unit and my wife and I can work in the same room, on the
couch or the recliner, or up in our son's room, or out on the deck or
in the garage (I did buy an Airport Express to extend the range that
far).

And when we moved, it came with us.  And I can drop the Express in my
laptop bag when we go away.

Plus, I like being able to work outside without having to drag CAT-5
around with me.

TjL