[X4U] Why wireless, anyway?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 16 20:33:04 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 10:41 pm, jeff wrote:

> But *why* wireless, especially where security is a concern.
> Cabling a hardwired network is not really that big a deal, is it?

Security isn't something that most users are aware of, until it's
pointed out to them (as Mr Wieber's neighbours have done - others have
pointed out that less conscientious kids may download movies & warez on
open networks). Security issues are just easy to resolve on wireless
networks, if you know how, and as long as you're running a decent o/s.

For most of my customers rewiring is not an easy option. I live in a
planned town, in which most of the houses are less than 20 years old,
and many of my customers live homes which are kept spotlessly (dare I
say, soullessly?) tidy. Ethernet wiring is not installed in even our
current mass-produced homes (which nowadays I find strange, to be
honest), and for the likes of my mother wired ethernet would require
replastering the walls and perhaps wallpapering. Ethernet cable
skirting the door-frames would not be considered "acceptable" - since
many ISPs advertising internet connections for multiple computers only
support a single model of router, they usually support a wireless model
for this reason.

Older homes around here often have tatty telephone extension cables
tacked to the wall, but those were all done a few years ago, before
DECT cordless phones became cheap, or for the benefit of a dial-up
modem for the computer in the spare room.

Stroller.