[X4U] WiFi question

lj Palmer darwin at ljsworld.com
Fri Jun 17 09:00:56 PDT 2005

WiFi finders come under the category of a tech-no toy.  They may be
fun to play with, but for most people they are totally unnecessary.
(A friend of mine has one on his keychain.)  If you open up your
iBook can can see what open networks are available.

There are open networks every where. Usually this is because people
forgot to or didn't know how to turn on security their wireless
router. However you should be aware there is some risk in joining a
untrusted (unknown) network. This can be either wireless or hard
wired. These networks can be setup to listen in to your connection to
steal person information (passwords, credit card numbers, etc..).

Your home D-Link Router supports the nominal encryption schemes. If
your password was setup to support one of them, than you network is
probably ok. They'll break into open network down the street ;-). The
reason it doesn't ask for a password at home could be that it did
once and saved it in your computers password keychain. You've just
forgotten about it.  However if what you are calling a password is a
SSID or network name, then you are running a open network to the
thanks of some neighbors.

Learning Reference
Take Control of Your AirPort Network
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/AirPort.html?14@@!pt=TB-HOME-SKY