[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Jun 18 03:27:31 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 06:08:41PM CDT, Johns Maillist <mymaillist at mac.com> wrote:
: On Jun 17, 2005, at 9:58 AM, peter wrote:
:
: >    If a neighbor's apple tree extends a branch over my yard, the
: >apples from that limb that fall into my yard are mine.  If the
: >rotten apples are causing me harm, I can force him to cut the limb
: >off.
: >
: >    If a person sends electronic waves onto my property they should
: >be mine to use.  If someone does not want me using their waves,
: >they need to keep them off of my property.   Seems to me that a
: >good case could be made that the sender of the waves is polluting
: >the air and should be made to stop.  I expect this question to come
: >before the Supreme Court before long.
:
: If you pick up apples from your side of the fence, OK, but climb that
: tree to get to the apples at the top, have you trespassed?
: If you intercept and read their mail, that is one thing. You are
: "listening" to their transmissions. But, when you send your Wi-Fi
: signal to their receiver, on their property, and use their waves
: crossing their property threshold, I believe you may be crossing a
: point there.
: I can look through your open gate at what is going on in your yard.
: As soon as I cross that property threshold into your yard, I have
: committed a trespass.

Air itself is not usually considered property.  Since it is a shared
resource, it tends to fall into the domain of the government to say
what's allowed and what isn't.  So EM waves is not really considered
as trespassing on any person's property.

You should check into states that share a common river and how they
get into fights with each other over the river's use (or abuse).

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/