[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Sat Jun 18 08:34:54 PDT 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 6:27 AM, Eugene wrote:

> Air itself is not usually considered property.  Since it is a shared
> resource, it tends to fall into the domain of the government to say
> what's allowed and what isn't.  So EM waves is not really considered
> as trespassing on any person's property.
>
> You should check into states that share a common river and how they
> get into fights with each other over the river's use (or abuse).

However, a river is not always a renewable resource, and certainly
not without limits. Which is why the states fight over their uses and
availability.
EM waves,  I believe, when emanating from ones own transmitter, are
generally accepted as restricted access by the FCC.
Public broadcasts are open for use by anyone who has a receiver.
Satellite broadcasts are not automatically free just because you can
receive them.
It is not legal to just drive around and listen in on the telephone
lines of other on wireless sets, just because you can.
When you jump on someone's wireless network, and begin to cruise the
internet, you are no longer "listening" but rather, actually USING
their resources, which in fact are limited (bandwith).
  More of MHO
John