[X4U] Problem with iMac

Michel Treisman treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 12:40:06 PDT 2005

I was trying to help  a friend who, at the age of about 80, a couple of
months ago bought himself an iMac and is trying to find his way around
it.  He has computed before but not for the last ten years. His last
experience was with a IIxc.

I tried to show him how to trouble shoot, and tried to start it up in
Single User mode - pressing Command-S while rebooting.  But the iMac
wouldn't produce the Unix display.  What I got was a little square box
in the center of the screen with a mixture of queries and a picture of
the globe showing America - and after a while the iMac booted up on the
hard disk as usual.  It came with Mac OS X 10.3.5 from the Apple Store,
with a promise of a free upgrade to Tiger, which hasn't yet happened.

So then I tried to check the hard disk by booting up on a CD with
DiskWarrior 3.0.2. on it.  I pressed "C" during startup, but that
wouldn't work either -  more Queries, and pictures of the globe, and it
started up on the hard disk.

Is there any  reason I don't know about  why an iMac, or Mac OS X
10.3.5 should not allow Single User Mode, and not boot up on a CD? What
is the next step?

Mike