[X4U] Problem with iMac

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Tue Jun 21 13:43:00 PDT 2005

Mike,

Hold down the option key at startup with the CD in - do you see the
available drives (including the CD)?  Or does it give you a little
rectangle for a password?  One reason why a Mac would not boot from a
CD or start in Single User mode is that the Mac has the Open Firmware
password enabled.  If you see the password box, then it has been
enabled.  If you see the drives, maybe you aren't pressing the keys
early enough?  Make sure you press immediately after hearing the
startup bong.

Hope this helps,

Peter

On Jun 21, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Michel Treisman wrote:

> Is there any  reason I don't know about  why an iMac, or Mac OS X
> 10.3.5 should not allow Single User Mode, and not boot up on a CD?
> What is the next step?

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million Mac
zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced."

-- One Slashdot reader comments on Apple's switch to Intel.

Peter Krug
pkrug at mac.com