[X4U] no startup after last update

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Mon Jun 27 11:29:31 PDT 2005

PowerMac G4/450   has been running fine for years, update after update.
I haven't been into the office in a couple of weeks..  however when I
showed up, the computer was running fine. With a list of updates in
the software update control panel that it wanted to install.

I was running OSX10.4      one of the updates it wanted to install
was 10.4.1 , also a quicktime update, I think a security update ?
and maybe an iTunes update ..  anyway I told them all to install.
installation finished, asked if I wanted to restart.  I clicked
restart.   now the computer just gets to a gray screen with the Apple
logo in the middle, and never progresses beyond that.

I tried restarting it..   i've tried completely shutting it down, and
then start.  Never gets past this gray screen with the apple logo.

I tried starting up with the "s" key held down.. I thought this would
start it in simple mode or what ever it's called.  but that did
nothing, same gray screen.

Any suggestions ? !

Kansast