[X4U] no startup after last update

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 12:01:56 PDT 2005

On 06/27/05, Kansas Territory <kansast at mac.com> wrote:

> PowerMac G4/450   has been running fine for years, update after update.
> I haven't been into the office in a couple of weeks..  however when I
> showed up, the computer was running fine. With a list of updates in
> the software update control panel that it wanted to install.
>
> I was running OSX10.4      one of the updates it wanted to install
> was 10.4.1 , also a quicktime update, I think a security update ?
> and maybe an iTunes update ..  anyway I told them all to install.
> installation finished, asked if I wanted to restart.  I clicked
> restart.   now the computer just gets to a gray screen with the Apple
> logo in the middle, and never progresses beyond that.
>
> I tried restarting it..   i've tried completely shutting it down, and
> then start.  Never gets past this gray screen with the apple logo.
>
> I tried starting up with the "s" key held down.. I thought this would
> start it in simple mode or what ever it's called.  but that did
> nothing, same gray screen.
>
> Any suggestions ? !

Try starting up with the Tiger install CD/DVD, launch Disk Utility, and
repair disk. Restart. If that doesn't work, try resetting the PRAM. If it
does, review <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106693> and
try reinstalling Tiger (Archive & Install)
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270>. Further
information here: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464>.