[X4U] removing software from OS X

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 4 16:06:16 PST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 11:35 pm, Ean Kingston wrote:

>> Just delete the application. On OSX, anything you don't need an
>> installer to install, you can just drag to the trash and be done.
>
> I guess that leads to my next silly question. Where did Mozilla get
> installed to and how do I know I removed all it's files? I know about
> the /home/me/library/mozilla directory. Where should be binaries and
> such have gone?

I came from a *nix background, too - OS X is weird at first.

Right click on the Mozilla icon whereever you installed it when you
originally dragged & dropped it there. Or fish it out from the Trash,
if you put it there already. When you right click on it you'll see an
option for "Show Package Contents" - that's the application's bin & lib
directories. I think that applications are generally statically
compiled & have no dependencies and so OS X doesn't need a package
manager.

Applications should to put their var stuff in ~/Library, but some
choose to use ~/Library/Microsoft\ User\ Data. All should put user
preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/com.authors-domain.application.
Some applications sprinkle stuff liberally through /Library (eg:
/Library/Contextual Menu Items/StuffItCM.plugin/), but these _should_
come with an uninstaller, I think.

Stroller.