[X4U] Canon BJ printer problems

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Fri Mar 4 17:41:33 PST 2005

Stroller wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2005, at 12:35 am, Keith Whaley wrote:
>
>> I have a PowerMac MDD G4 Tower model, 1.25 Ghz, OS 10.3.8.
>> I also have a brand new Canon bubble jet iP 3000 printer.
>> Everything is working fine, up to the completion of the printer driver
>> installation.
>> It will NOT quite install! Stops and spins the beach ball at aomething
>> like 99% installed. It just keeps going...
>> Finder Menu bar/Apple/About This Mac/More Info/Hardward Overview shows
>> a Canon USB printer, so it recognizes it's online, but...
>>
>> I spent almost ¾ hours with a Canon Mac tech support  person today at
>> the Canon support facility, and after all the shenanigans, the driver
>> still wouldn't work.
>> Any assistance appreciated!

> I have the iP3000 & seem to recall seeing the beachball at 99%. I'm
> pretty sure that it didn't cause any problem, whether I force-quite the
> installer or rebooted the machine.

I've done both, but the installer didn't install the driver...

> Is it possible Canon's tech support don't know Macs?

The lady who answered the phone didn't, but the one she got for me did!

> If you go into
> Applications > Utilities > Printer Setup Utility & choose USB from the
> drop-down is the iP3000 not shown there? If so, click on it.

Nope. Not there. My old Epson drivers were, so I deleted them.
You know, I wonder if the presence of those drivers gave me a problem?
Naw, it shouldn't, as one can have any of several drivers to choose from...

> My apologies if you've already tried this.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks for the thoughts, Stroller.
I'll keep on it, and keep asking around.

keith whaley