[X4U] Help with MPEG-4 and iMac - SUCCESS

B.ru c-e € K1u-tch-k0 AppleRocket at NoSpamMail.net
Sun Mar 6 06:12:07 PST 2005

On 3/1/05 2:25 PM, "Neil" <Lists at mac.com> wrote:

> on 12/18/04 12:19 AM, B.ru c-e €K1u-tch-k0 wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/04 7:01 PM, "Neil" <Lists at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce, have you at least gotten to the point where you can view these videos
>>> in Quicktime Player?  I'm thinking of getting one of those camcorders from
>>> Target too and it will be  worth the $88 to me if I can it to play in QT.
>>> VCD or MPEG4 CD would be icing on the cake.
>>>
>> So far, they play really well in the free VLC player. But not in Quicktime.
>> I'm copying to VHS right now to play on the TV, but I'm trying different
>> formats to see if my DVD player can show them from a CD.
>
> Bruce, do you have anything new to report?  Thanks.

Something NEW to report: success!

The answer was right under my nose. While none of the 8 to 10 video
converting programs was able to convert the .asf MPEG4 videos to a useable
format, I noticed an "advanced output" option in VLC (the FREE video
player).

Using the options to set the output to Quicktime resulted in video playable
in QT but no sound. Then I looked below at the "Transcode options" and set
Video to MP4V and audio to MP4A.

This resulted in a Quicktime playable .mov file. You have the option of
either playing the movie as it is converted or just converting without
playing.

Either way, the movies now work in QT and can be incorporated into iMovie
and iDVD.

The big advantage of using iMovie is that you can edit the video to adjust
brightness, contrast, etc. but I did notice occasional loss of sync between
audio and video - maybe this will be fixed in iLife 05.
--
B-r-u -c-e