[X4U] OT - Help with Quicken categories

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Wed Mar 9 08:12:12 PST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 7:01 AM, revDAVE wrote:

> -  Are you saying that if I set a new Quick fill transaction to equal
> the
> name of an imported transaction - that it will work correctly?
> - Does the name have to be exactly the same every time - or can it
> just be
> close? -  or are there other criteria that have to match?

If you can type in the text as a check or journal entry, and Quicken
will "quick fill" the rest of the text for payee and category, then it
will do so during the financial data download as well.

In the Preferences dialog under Registers, enable "Use QuickFill to
fill in transactions". Also enable "Add transactions to QuickFill list"
for a time to ease the capturing of the payees and so on.

When I download, I click on the first unmatched item in the list. If
the QuickFill match is found, press the Enter key to save the
transaction as "matched" and move to the next. Repeat this to the end
of the new transactions. When you encounter a transaction that does not
match, enter the category and press the Enter key to save it. At the
end of this process all the transaction should be marked as "matched".
Now you can press the "Accept All" button to post the transactions.

Be aware that Quicken will goof ATM transactions from time to time. If
you click on the ATM transaction you may see that Quicken associated it
with a previously cleared ATM transaction. This can bollox the
reconciliation. The process in the previous paragraph helps to avoid
these errors by giving you a chance to review the transaction date to
be sure it matches the date in the checkbook ledger.

I still have to adjust several transactions each time. If you have a
several accounts this can be quite a bit of hassle. Still, the task is
streamlined by using the QuickFill feature.

hth,

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates
On the web at http://www.mophilly.com