[X4U] OT - Help with Quicken categories

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Wed Mar 9 17:57:12 PST 2005

On 3/9/05 8:12 AM, "Mark Phillips" <mark at mophilly.com> wrote:

> If you can type in the text as a check or journal entry, and Quicken
> will "quick fill" the rest of the text for payee and category, then it
> will do so during the financial data download as well.
>
> In the Preferences dialog under Registers, enable "Use QuickFill to
> fill in transactions". Also enable "Add transactions to QuickFill list"
> for a time to ease the capturing of the payees and so on.
>
> When I download, I click on the first unmatched item in the list. If
> the QuickFill match is found, press the Enter key to save the
> transaction as "matched" and move to the next. Repeat this to the end
> of the new transactions. When you encounter a transaction that does not
> match, enter the category and press the Enter key to save it. At the
> end of this process all the transaction should be marked as "matched".
> Now you can press the "Accept All" button to post the transactions.
>
> Be aware that Quicken will goof ATM transactions from time to time. If
> you click on the ATM transaction you may see that Quicken associated it
> with a previously cleared ATM transaction. This can bollox the
> reconciliation. The process in the previous paragraph helps to avoid
> these errors by giving you a chance to review the transaction date to
> be sure it matches the date in the checkbook ledger.
>
> I still have to adjust several transactions each time. If you have a
> several accounts this can be quite a bit of hassle. Still, the task is
> streamlined by using the QuickFill feature.

Thanks Mark - that helps a lot. I'm curious - I took a look and I noticed I
have some entries -   where the name is something like: company name and
then a long string of unique numbers ...  So in case like this I might have
many entries from the same company - however the unique number makes the
name different for each record - so, in a case like this, would quickfill be
able to catch these entries?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com