[X4U] Re: Looking For A Good Black-and-white Laser Printer

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 12:51:41 PST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Every a LocalTalk to Ethernet adapter that I know of has been
> discontinued, but  you can still find them for sale.  The two most
> popular were the one from Asante, and a much better one from Farallon
> (now known as Proxim). The one from Asante was problematic, and I
> recommend that it be avoided.

OTOH we've used several of the AsantePrints, with no trouble. In fact,
we still have one in use for an HP LaserJet 4. That particular adapter
has outlived 3 printers so far over 8 or 9 years of service. It was the
Farallon one that gave me trouble (which is why we only had one).

As a real hack, I've used obsolete Macs with ethernet cards running OS
7 (IIRC) and the Printer Share desk accessory Apple used to ship. The
last one of these to go was a venerable IIfx/ LaserWriter II combo
about two years ago (too hard to find parts for a LW II).

-Mike