[X4U] Publisher files on Mac

Randy Jamerson rjamerson at ebsco.com
Fri Mar 11 07:31:14 PST 2005

Another thing you may want to consider.

About 40% of our work is PC.  All of our operators have Macs and PC's.  We
never convert files cross platform.  (PC Quark stays PC Quark, PC InDesign
stays PC InDesign).

Although it is possible for printers to convert many files cross platform,
you are probably spending a lot of labor hours fixing font reflows and other
problem that happen when you convert PC to Mac.

You could probably justify the cost of a PC and related software based on
the labor you would save, the accuracy and the fact that you could actually
return files to your customers that they could open.  (I know of many
printers who convert their customers files to Mac, edit them, and then
cannot give a usable file back to their customer).

You know what kind of work you get, but for us, it would be terribly
inefficient for us to try to convert everything to Mac "just because it is
possible" and because we hate the PC  (which we do, by the way).

On 3/11/05 9:16 AM, "Samantha Cornell" <samantha at netresults.biz> wrote:

> Randy,
>
> You are right, it is not an expensive program, but the entire
> PC/Publisher setup is cost prohibitive, when considering that the only
> benefit that I would gain would be the ability to open Publisher files.
>
> Maybe someday, but as a sole proprietor, I just can't justify it.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Samantha
>

> On Mar 11, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Randy Jamerson wrote:
>
>> Pagemaker PC has a Publisher converter.  If you know someone with
>> Pagemaker
>> PC, you could have them convert it and then you could open the
>> Pagemaker
>> file on the Mac. Of course, it's probably going to cause the file to
>> reflow
>> and look nothing like it did in Publisher.
>>
>> There is no way to open Publisher directly on a Mac.  If you want to
>> support
>> that file type, you need to buy a PC and Publisher.  It is not an
>> expensive
>> program.
>>

>> On 3/10/05 10:06 PM, "Samantha Cornell" <samantha at netresults.biz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to open Publisher files on a Mac?  I have a
>>> client
>>> that emailed me a file, last minute, and needs something done ASAP,
>>> but, of course, the darn file is in Publisher.  IT appears that they
>>> do
>>> not actually have Publisher, so they do not have the ability to export
>>> the file as a different format.
>>>
>>> Is there any solution?  I'm guessing that Pages does not open
>>> Publisher
>>> files either...I don't have it (yet) but if it will do this...I would
>>> be inclined to purchase it now.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, is there any other solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Samantha

>>> Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random
>>> stuff:
>>>          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984
>>
>> Randy Jamerson .  Prepress Systems Administrator
>> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>> . . .
>> EBSCO Media
>> 801 Fifth Avenue South
>> Birmingham, AL 35233
>> Office. 205.226.9557
>> Cell. 205.966.5579
>> Fax. 205.226.9558
>> email. rjamerson at ebsco.com

>> stuff:
>>          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

Randy Jamerson .  Prepress Systems Administrator
EBSCO Media
801 Fifth Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Office. 205.226.9557