[X4U] Ethernet hub recommendations?

Anne-Marie Concepcion mylists at senecadesign.com
Sun Mar 13 08:30:25 PST 2005

At 3:00 PM +0000 3/13/05, Stroller wrote:
>I can't actually find any information on the M120, but I'll assume
>it's similar to the MIH-120
><http://www.pcmech.com/show/reviews/281/>. Is it working at the
>moment?

Yes, that's it, and yes, it's working at the moment. As is the
MIH-120a switch that adds 8 ports to the hub.

The reason I want to move ... We're transferring some big files among
the computers on the network and the 120 only does 10T Ethernet ...
as far as I know my Macs and prob the PC can do 100T Ethernet, no? If
I add a fileserver this will be an issue as well.

Also want to move just because I don't like using abandoned products.

Alas, I don't know what's up with MacSense. They list the logical
replacement, the MIH-130 (broadband router w/NAT and a 4-port hub)
and the MIH-130a (the 8-port switch add-on) on their site here:
http://www.macsense.com/product/broadband/mih130.html

... but the Buy Now button is disabled and the products aren't listed
in their on-line store.

Their support knowledge base has some instrux on how to update
firmware on the 130 w/OS X but it's pretty convoluted, like it was
never meant for OS X networks. And the latest firmware update for the
130 was back in 2001 too, just like the 120.

So all this makes me think I should find an up-to-date solution. Thus
I turned to the online genius bar here :-) for advice and
recommendations.

>You mention "slow Ethernet ports" in your first paragraph. I know
>how frustrating that can be, but you don't need to replace the
>router - only add a switch.

Still not clear here. I thought the switch add-on from MacSense
simply increased the # of ports... take a look at the mih130 url
above ... can you tell if the 130A (the 8-port switch) adds any
special speed boost as opposed to the 130 (the 4-port router/hub)?
Wouldn't the 130A need to be hooked into the 130 in order for the
computers to access the DSL modem? (Which by the way is a Slipstream
if that makes any diff.).

All so confusing... basically I want about 6 ethernet devices to have
fast computer-to-computer connections and share the same single DSL
account.

>>I like having the flexibility with the powerbooks to use Ethernet
>>(there's ports all over the house with a patch panel in the
>>basement)
>
><greenly jealous>

I paid a guy to set this up when I moved into my house in 98. He's
since dropped off the planet and if something went blooey I'd have no
idea what to do. Maybe that makes you feel better? ;-)

AM