[X4U] Ethernet hub recommendations?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 13 17:06:06 PST 2005

On Mar 13, 2005, at 4:30 pm, Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:

> At 3:00 PM +0000 3/13/05, Stroller wrote:
>> I can't actually find any information on the M120, but I'll assume
>> it's similar to the MIH-120
>> <http://www.pcmech.com/show/reviews/281/>. Is it working at the
>> moment?
>
> Yes, that's it, and yes, it's working at the moment. As is the
> MIH-120a switch that adds 8 ports to the hub.
>
> The reason I want to move ... We're transferring some big files among
> the computers on the network and the 120 only does 10T Ethernet ... as
> far as I know my Macs and prob the PC can do 100T Ethernet, no? If I
> add a fileserver this will be an issue as well.

Right. You don't actually need to replace the M120 router, then. All
you need is to replace the MIH-120a & plug all your devices into that.

> Also want to move just because I don't like using abandoned products.

Well, I can see your point, but you might well find you're in the same
situation in a couple of years' time - the smaller & cheaper the
product - think small network hardware devices - the quicker
manufacturers update their range & drop support for legacy models. To
be honest I'd just get a new switch & keep the difference in the bank -
these little routers often keep chugging away for years. If the M120
fails in the future, then just chuck it.

> Their support knowledge base has some instrux on how to update
> firmware on the 130 w/OS X but it's pretty convoluted, like it was
> never meant for OS X networks. And the latest firmware update for the
> 130 was back in 2001 too, just like the 120.

Yeah, but you may never need to need to update the firmware.

>> You mention "slow Ethernet ports" in your first paragraph. I know how
>> frustrating that can be, but you don't need to replace the router -
>> only add a switch.
>
> Still not clear here. I thought the switch add-on from MacSense simply
> increased the # of ports... take a look at the mih130 url above ...
> can you tell if the 130A (the 8-port switch) adds any special speed
> boost as opposed to the 130 (the 4-port router/hub)?

Erm... yes & no.

> Wouldn't the 130A need to be hooked into the 130 in order for the
> computers to access the DSL modem? (Which by the way is a Slipstream
> if that makes any diff.).

No, I don't think so. Because the 130A is a router with a built-in
switch. But you don't need that, since your current

> All so confusing... basically I want about 6 ethernet devices to have
> fast computer-to-computer connections and share the same single DSL
> account.

Right... chuck the MIH-120a & replace it with a 6- or 8-port 10/100
switch. Problem solved. $30 from NewEgg.

You might need to paste the below into textedit & set a fixed-width
font for it to make sense:

       slow          slow               fast
modem <---> MIH-120 <---> 10/100switch <---> LAN Computers
       10mBps        10mBps             100mBps

The "slow" segments are still 5x - 10x the speed of your broadband
connection, so are not a bottleneck. The computers in your house all
communicate at full 100mBps speed because they're all plugged into the
new switch at full-speed. Trust me, it works, it's not a big dilemma
and you'll REALLy notice the difference for the usage you're
describing.

Stroller.